Wednesday, April 11, 2007

What does it mean when monsoons come 2 months early?

What does it mean when monsoons come 2 months early? Is there a god of monsoons? Has he been pleased or angered when he sends severe thinderstorms to the sun-drenched dry rocky deccan plateau?

2 days ago the thunder and lightening was a cute novelty, the Hyderabadis were excited about a summer storm. Now it is flooding and the storms keep coming, and no one knows what to make of it. Luckily, unlike somewhere LA, Hyderabad has a monsoon season and therefore roads and houses are made to withstand rain - although construciton projects that expected 2 months of dry sun may be in jeopardy. The weather is cool right now as it rains - 75 and breezy- fantastic! (as long as you're under cover ;) I'm sitting on the porch with the guard as strong rain veers in diagonally with strong gusts of wind. Right now the street is turning into a creek - but the water will have to rise about 8 feet to get my room so hopefully I'll be ok ;)

I never made it to Golconda Fort - Indian montezuma's revenge struck on Sunday afternoon (the best laid plans...) But if that's all that I get, I'll count myself lucky so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying to the god of food and water safety ;)

No comments: